Polling in 4 Jharkhand assembly seats postponed
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Monday
postponed elections to four assembly constituencies in
Jharkhand`s Dumka district, which were scheduled to be held in
the first phase on November 25, following complaints of "grave
The Commission ordered the the poll process in
Sikaripara (ST), Dumka (ST), Jama (ST) and Jarmundi
constituencies in Dumka district be rescinded and rescheduled
for December 8 when the third phase of the elections are held
in the state.
The EC order came following information that the
Returning Officers of the four constituencies have
"inadvertently" supplied the wrong version, in Hindi, of
nomination papers to candidates though the English version of
was correctly supplied.
"This error on the part of the Returning Officers of the
four constituencies has misled the candidates who filed their
nomination papers in Hindi and they have submitted their
incomplete nomination papers in the wrong Hindi version of the
prescribed form", the EC said adding the error on the part of
the Returning Officers came to light during scrutiny of
nomination papers today.
Under the law, the filing of incomplete nomination papers
in wrong Hindi version was "a defect of substantial character"
rendering the nomination papers of the candidates concerned
liable to rejection.
The EC said actions have been initiated against the
concerned Returning Officers and Deputy Election Officer-cum
Deputy Commissioner of Dumka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29