Polling in 4 Jharkhand assembly seats postponed
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Monday
postponed elections to four assembly constituencies in
Jharkhand`s Dumka district, which were scheduled to be held in
the first phase on November 25, following complaints of "grave
The Commission ordered the the poll process in
Sikaripara (ST), Dumka (ST), Jama (ST) and Jarmundi
constituencies in Dumka district be rescinded and rescheduled
for December 8 when the third phase of the elections are held
in the state.
The EC order came following information that the
Returning Officers of the four constituencies have
"inadvertently" supplied the wrong version, in Hindi, of
nomination papers to candidates though the English version of
was correctly supplied.
"This error on the part of the Returning Officers of the
four constituencies has misled the candidates who filed their
nomination papers in Hindi and they have submitted their
incomplete nomination papers in the wrong Hindi version of the
prescribed form", the EC said adding the error on the part of
the Returning Officers came to light during scrutiny of
nomination papers today.
Under the law, the filing of incomplete nomination papers
in wrong Hindi version was "a defect of substantial character"
rendering the nomination papers of the candidates concerned
liable to rejection.
The EC said actions have been initiated against the
concerned Returning Officers and Deputy Election Officer-cum
Deputy Commissioner of Dumka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea