Poverty ratio declines in Jharkhand: Govt
New Delhi: The poverty ratio in Jharkhand declined to 39.1 per cent in 2009-10 from 45.3 per cent five years ago because of economic growth and poverty alleviation programmes, the government said on Thursday.
"The percentage of people living below poverty line in Jharkhand has declined from 45.3 per cent in 2004-05 to 39.1 per cent in 2009-10.
"In terms of number of poor, it has declined from 1.32 crore in 2004-05 to 1.26 crore in 2009-10," Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning Rajeev Shulka said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
The decline in the number of poor during this period is the combined effect of economic growth and the poverty alleviation programmes, he said.
In 2011-12, total of 15.57 lakh households were provided employment under MGNREGS, 57,019 people were assisted under the Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana, 1.17 lakh houses were completed under the Indira Awaas Yojana and 14.20 lakh households were provided with financial assistance under the sanitation programme, he added.
The government has taken various measures for upliftment of the poor and improve their quality of life through direct intervention by implementing specific poverty reduction and mitigation programmes, Shukla said.
All the policy initiatives by the government which have led to higher GDP growth in the country have individually and collectively contributed to raising the living standards of people over time and to the decline of absolute poverty and destitution, he added.
In a separate reply, the minister said pilot projects related to direct cash transfer, access to financial services to rural population, public distribution system and delivery of LPG cylinders are being implemented in Jharkhand, Tripura, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka under the Unique Identity project.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!