Prevention of Corruption Act charges slapped on outing Mayor
Ranchi: Absconding Mayor Rama Khalko was on Monday charged under Prevention of Corruption Act after an FIR was lodged against her and two others in connection with cash-for-vote allegations in the run up to the April 8 Mayoral Elections.
The PC Act was added to the case number 92/13 after Rs 21.9 crore was found in a city hotel on April 7.
Meanwhile, the State Election Commissioner S D Sharma has recommended cancellation of the April 8 Mayoral Elections to Governor Syed Ahmed in the wake of the seizure and its possible use of money to sway the polls.
The Income Tax department has summoned Khalkho on April 18.
The Congress also yesterday set up a three-member committee to look into the allegations against some party leaders.
After the FIR was registered against Khalkho, Congress leader Niranjan Shah and Sudhir Kumar Sahu on April 7, the police arrested Shah and Sahu and produced the duo before the judicial magistrate, which sent the duo to 14 days judicial custody.
The court issued arrest warrants after Khalkho evaded arrest, and is still absconding.
Khalkho, who recently joined the Congress in New Delhi, was backed by the Congress in the party-less mayoral elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof