Previous govt failed to utilise funds for minorities: Sahay
Ranchi: Senior Congress leader Subodh Kant Sahay on Thursday accused the previous BJP-led government of failing to utilise central funds sent for minority welfare in Jharkhand.
"The Centre had released Rs 181.4 crore for minority welfare in Ranchi, Khunti, Simdega, Gumla, Pakur and Sahibganj, but the previous BJP-led government was a hurdle in its implementation, save Pakur and Sahibganj," a press release claimed quoting Sahay.
Addressing meetings at Khalari in Ranchi district as part of his Sonia Gandhi-Rahul Gandhi Sandesh Yatra, Sahay said the funds were meant for developing electricity, water, healthcare, education and housing in the minority-populated areas of those districts.
He also claimed that 70,000 students belonging to the minority communities were allegedly deprived of centrally-sponsored scholarships "as the previous Arjun Munda government had been a hurdle in its implementation."
Reacting to Sahay`s allegations, BJP spokesman Pradip Sinha, said, "Hazi Hussain Ansari of the JMM had held the Minority Welfare portfolio, and the Congress leader should ask the JMM why it did not spend the money instead of blaming the BJP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial