Prisoners go on strike for release in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Over a thousand prisoners went on strike in different jails of Jharkhand on Monday demanding their release, with some also on hunger strike.
Around 700 prisoners are sitting on strike in Jai Prakash Narayan Central Jail, 200 in Garwah jail and 140 in Medininagar jail.
The prisoners, most of them lifers, said they have completed their sentences and that some had served for more than 20 years.
"There is a committee at state level headed by the chief minister. The meeting has not taken place in the last few years," Inspector General (Prison) Shailendra Bhushan told a news agency.
"In life term case, a prisoner can be released if the state-level committee decides so. The court advisory is also must in releasing the prisoners facing life term.
"We will soon hold the screening committee meeting and decide on the prisoners` release whose advisory has reached to us," Bhushan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report