Quantum of sentence on Lalu to be pronounced on Thursday
Ranchi: The quantum of sentence to be served by RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav, who has been convicted in a fodder scam case, would be announced tomorrow after arguments in a Special CBI court here.
"The court has fixed tomorrow for arguments on why the quantum of sentence should be less and for the pronouncement (against Lalu)," said one of the counsels for the former Bihar chief minister.
The court of Pravas Kumar Singh, which had found Lalu guilty along with 45 others in case RC 20A/96 on Monday, would hear the arguments before handing out the quantum of sentence.
The Special CBI court has granted bail to eight of the convicts as they had been sentenced to three years` rigorous imprisonment, a prison term that allows the convict to move for bail in the same court.
Besides Lalu, the court also convicted another former Bihar CM, Jagannath Mishra and sitting JD(U) MP Jagdish Sharma. They are presently lodged at the Birsa Munda Central jail along with other fodder scam convicts.
Meanwhile, sources in RJD said that former Union minister and RJD leader Prem Chand Gupta and several other leaders today met Lalu in jail.
A senior RJD leader said Lalu partook of food brought from outside by his party`s leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read