Quantum of sentence on Lalu to be pronounced on Thursday
Ranchi: The quantum of sentence to be served by RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav, who has been convicted in a fodder scam case, would be announced tomorrow after arguments in a Special CBI court here.
"The court has fixed tomorrow for arguments on why the quantum of sentence should be less and for the pronouncement (against Lalu)," said one of the counsels for the former Bihar chief minister.
The court of Pravas Kumar Singh, which had found Lalu guilty along with 45 others in case RC 20A/96 on Monday, would hear the arguments before handing out the quantum of sentence.
The Special CBI court has granted bail to eight of the convicts as they had been sentenced to three years` rigorous imprisonment, a prison term that allows the convict to move for bail in the same court.
Besides Lalu, the court also convicted another former Bihar CM, Jagannath Mishra and sitting JD(U) MP Jagdish Sharma. They are presently lodged at the Birsa Munda Central jail along with other fodder scam convicts.
Meanwhile, sources in RJD said that former Union minister and RJD leader Prem Chand Gupta and several other leaders today met Lalu in jail.
A senior RJD leader said Lalu partook of food brought from outside by his party`s leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly