Quantum of sentence on Lalu to be pronounced on Thursday
Ranchi: The quantum of sentence to be served by RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav, who has been convicted in a fodder scam case, would be announced tomorrow after arguments in a Special CBI court here.
"The court has fixed tomorrow for arguments on why the quantum of sentence should be less and for the pronouncement (against Lalu)," said one of the counsels for the former Bihar chief minister.
The court of Pravas Kumar Singh, which had found Lalu guilty along with 45 others in case RC 20A/96 on Monday, would hear the arguments before handing out the quantum of sentence.
The Special CBI court has granted bail to eight of the convicts as they had been sentenced to three years` rigorous imprisonment, a prison term that allows the convict to move for bail in the same court.
Besides Lalu, the court also convicted another former Bihar CM, Jagannath Mishra and sitting JD(U) MP Jagdish Sharma. They are presently lodged at the Birsa Munda Central jail along with other fodder scam convicts.
Meanwhile, sources in RJD said that former Union minister and RJD leader Prem Chand Gupta and several other leaders today met Lalu in jail.
A senior RJD leader said Lalu partook of food brought from outside by his party`s leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!