Rahul Gandhi vows to empower panchayats
Ranchi: Continuing his displeasure at some states not delegating power to panchayats, AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi has pledged that he will fight for empowerment of the rural bodies.
During his just-concluded meeting with the panchayat representatives in Ranchi, Gandhi wondered why panchayat members did not get power soon after elections when MPs and MLAs get power soon after election.
"Rahulji was disappointed when he learnt that panchayat bodies have not yet got any power to execute developmental works," Congress leader Butter Sardar who attended one of Gandhi`s meetings, said here on Thursday.
Jharkhand Youth Congress president Jai Mangal Singh attended a separate meeting in Bokaro yesterday, said, "Rahulji told us he would fight for the rights of panchayats after he learnt that devolution of powers has not yet taken place in Jharkhand."
"I`ll also raise the panchayat issue during the review meeting of the Youth Congress committees beginning on October 01 in Jammu and Kashmir," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley