Rahul Gandhi vows to empower panchayats
Ranchi: Continuing his displeasure at some states not delegating power to panchayats, AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi has pledged that he will fight for empowerment of the rural bodies.
During his just-concluded meeting with the panchayat representatives in Ranchi, Gandhi wondered why panchayat members did not get power soon after elections when MPs and MLAs get power soon after election.
"Rahulji was disappointed when he learnt that panchayat bodies have not yet got any power to execute developmental works," Congress leader Butter Sardar who attended one of Gandhi`s meetings, said here on Thursday.
Jharkhand Youth Congress president Jai Mangal Singh attended a separate meeting in Bokaro yesterday, said, "Rahulji told us he would fight for the rights of panchayats after he learnt that devolution of powers has not yet taken place in Jharkhand."
"I`ll also raise the panchayat issue during the review meeting of the Youth Congress committees beginning on October 01 in Jammu and Kashmir," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says