Ramesh lays foundation of development projects
Chaibasa: Union Rural
Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday laid foundation
stones for development projects worth Rs 250 crore in villages
situated near Maoist affected Saranda in West Singhbhum
"As per the Integrated Action Plan by the Centre and
the state, a total of 6000 families will get Indira Awas,
besides construction of roads, health centres and other
amenities," Ramesh told reporters here after laying foundation
stone for road and other development projects.
The minister distributed solar lamps, bi-cycles and
transistors to some families in the villages near Saranda and
started the process of giving cheques for Rs 48,500 each to
the beneficiaries to build houses under Indira Awas Yozana.
"It is just the beginning of development initiatives.
Results will show after two/three years," said Ramesh, who
during his previous visits to the state had said development
initiatives could control the Maoists menace.
This was the third visit of the minister after the
police claimed Maoists were driven out from most parts of
Saranda forests in a major anti-Naxal operation during
July-August last year.
Meanwhile, the security forces
today detected three IEDs near Digha village in
Maoist-infected Saranda forest in West Singhbhum district,
hours before Jairam Ramesh’s
"The IEDs were detected during search operation early in
the morning. But it should not be linked with the minister’s
visit, because they had been planted by the Maoists at
separate places in Saranda long back," West Singhbhum
Superintendent of Police Arun Kumar Singh said here.
The IEDs were defused after being detected early morning
about 500/600 metres from the venue where Ramesh visited
around 10.30 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert