Ranchi: 12 persons hurt in clashes during anti-encroachment drive
Ranchi: The police on Tuesday lathicharged and
opened fire after seven of its men were injured when
protesters clashed with it during an anti-demolition drive
near Islam Nagar, minutes before Union minister Subodh Kant
Sahay was arrested for staging a demonstration in Ranchi.
"The policemen had to open fire after a mob threw
crude bombs and stones at the securitymen, injuring seven of
our policemen," Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen
Sahay, who was on a sit-in since 10 am, was arrested,
in the afternoon, he said and added the situation was under
An assistant of the Union Minister, Ravikant Kapoor,
claimed that Sahay and several of his supporters had received
injuries in police lathicharge while one suffered a bullet
injury and his condition was stated to be critical.
However, City Superintendent of Police Shambu Thakur
said five persons were injured in police lathicharge and they
have no information about any person getting injured from
The minister has been protesting against the
anti-encroachment drive at Islam Nagar for the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why