Ranchi: 12 persons hurt in clashes during anti-encroachment drive
Ranchi: The police on Tuesday lathicharged and
opened fire after seven of its men were injured when
protesters clashed with it during an anti-demolition drive
near Islam Nagar, minutes before Union minister Subodh Kant
Sahay was arrested for staging a demonstration in Ranchi.
"The policemen had to open fire after a mob threw
crude bombs and stones at the securitymen, injuring seven of
our policemen," Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen
Sahay, who was on a sit-in since 10 am, was arrested,
in the afternoon, he said and added the situation was under
An assistant of the Union Minister, Ravikant Kapoor,
claimed that Sahay and several of his supporters had received
injuries in police lathicharge while one suffered a bullet
injury and his condition was stated to be critical.
However, City Superintendent of Police Shambu Thakur
said five persons were injured in police lathicharge and they
have no information about any person getting injured from
The minister has been protesting against the
anti-encroachment drive at Islam Nagar for the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples