Ranchi Mayor absconding after issuance of warrant
Ranchi: Ranchi Mayor Rama Khalkho has been absconding after a local court issued an arrest warrant against her in connection with the cash-for-vote scandal in mayoral election, held on April 8.
Police said they have launched searches, but could not trace her.
The judicial magistrate court has issued the warrants following recovery of Rs 21.9 lakh from a city hotel on April 7 and a CCTV purportedly showed Khalkho, and others going inside the hotel that day.
The police have lodged an FIR naming Khalkho, Sudhir Kumar Sahu and a local Congress leader Niranjan Shah.
While Sahu and Shah were arrested and produced before the court on April 9, Khalkho was still absconding, the police said.
The State Election Commission has put the counting of the April 8 mayoral elections on hold, according to sources in the Commission.
Khalkho has recently joined the Congress party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister