Ranchi Mayor absconding after issuance of warrant
Ranchi: Ranchi Mayor Rama Khalkho has been absconding after a local court issued an arrest warrant against her in connection with the cash-for-vote scandal in mayoral election, held on April 8.
Police said they have launched searches, but could not trace her.
The judicial magistrate court has issued the warrants following recovery of Rs 21.9 lakh from a city hotel on April 7 and a CCTV purportedly showed Khalkho, and others going inside the hotel that day.
The police have lodged an FIR naming Khalkho, Sudhir Kumar Sahu and a local Congress leader Niranjan Shah.
While Sahu and Shah were arrested and produced before the court on April 9, Khalkho was still absconding, the police said.
The State Election Commission has put the counting of the April 8 mayoral elections on hold, according to sources in the Commission.
Khalkho has recently joined the Congress party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray