Register case against Nirupama’s boyfriend: Court
New Delhi: In a fresh twist to journalist Nirupama Pathak’s death controversy, a court in Koderma, Jharkhand on Friday directed the police to register rape and sexual exploitation cases against her boyfriend Priyabhanshu Ranjan.
The court’s order came in response to a petition filed by Nirupama’s mother, currently under detention, who alleged that Priyabhanshu lured her daughter in pretext of marrying her and sexually exploited.
In her petition, Sudha claimed that Nirupama was three-month pregnant at the time of her death and hence was utterly disappointed when Priyabhanshu refused to marry her, which compelled her to take the extreme step of ending her life fearing societal backlash.
Priyabhanshu, who is in the national capital, has already been grilled by the Jharkhand Police.
Nirupama’s father and brothers have also been questioned about the circumstances that lead to her death, amid fears that it may be a case of honour killing.
The family insists that Nirupama committed suicide. But the post-mortem examination says she was murdered by smothering and that was 10-12 weeks pregnant.
The family has admitted that they were opposed to Nirupama’s planned marriage with Priyabhanshu, her former batchmate at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC).
Also, the district medical officer has sought an explanation from doctors, who conducted autopsy on Nirupama’s body for not preserving the viscera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel