RS polls: EC stops counting of votes in Jharkhand
New Delhi/Ranchi: The Election Commission on Friday ordered stopping of counting of votes for Rajya Sabha elections in Jharkhand, following the seizure of over Rs 2 crore from the car of a candidate’s kin.
The EC also stopped counting of votes in Uttarakhand.
The counting of votes will not be taken up until the EC investigates the matter thoroughly.
In its communication to the returning officers of the Assemblies of Jharkhand and Uttarakhand, the EC asked them to submit detailed and comprehensive reports of the conduct of polls Friday with special reference to any untoward incident immediately after voting was over.
The recovery of cash came on a day when polls for the Upper House are being held in
The cash was seized allegedly from a car owned by the younger brother of an
independent Rajya Sabha candidate, RK Agarwal.
"The cash was seized near Rampur haat under Namkum
police station between 6.30 am and 7.00 am from the car,"
Income Tax department`s Jharkhand Director Ajay Kumar said.
"The car belongs to Suresh Agarwal, the younger brother
of (independent RS candidate) R K Agarwal, while the cash came
from his relative Praskash Khemani`s place at Jamshedpur," he
R K Agarwal is one of the independent candidates for
the Rajya Sabha elections for two seats from Jharkhand which
are scheduled today.
Following interrogation of Suresh Agarwal and another
person, Kumar said it was allegedly revealed that the cash had
come from Khemani`s place.
"Prakash Khemani is related to R K Agarwal. We have
launched raids in his place," Kumar said.
He said some names of legislators were also found in
the vehicle`s car.
Jharkhand Assembly was today adjourned twice following
din over seizure of cash that got linked to the Rajya Sabha
As soon as the House convened, the Opposition led
Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric) Pradip Yadav, Samresh
Singh and Congress MLAs Sourav Narayan Singh and others
demanded a reply from the government over the news.
Senior BJP MLA Raghuvar Das said the Congress had "no
right" to raise the issue of corruption after the
cash-for-vote scandal erupted in 2009.
Speaker C P Singh adjourned the House for 15 minutes
after the Opposition trooped to the well and raised
Similar scenes were witnessed even after the House
reconvened, prompting the speaker to adjourn the house till 2
The RS polls for two seats from Jharkhand are going on
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand