SC gives time to ED to complete probe against Madhu Koda
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted 45 days to Enforcement Directorate (ED) to complete its probe against former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda for his alleged role in a money laundering case.
"We feel that the request is reasonable," a bench of justices H L Dattu and Ranjan Gogoi said while allowing ED`s plea.
The investigators also told the bench that they were in the process of getting back Anil Bastawade, close associate of Koda, from Indonesia to establish the link between them in connection with illegal accumulation of wealth.
The court was hearing the bail plea of Koda, lodged in Ranchi jail since November 2009, for his alleged role in a money laundering case.
Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval said ED was in the process of arresting Bastawade, a fugitive businessman, who was detained in Indonesia following an Interpol notice against him.
A Red Corner Notice (RCN) against him was issued by CBI on the request of the ED which is probing charges of alleged money laundering against the 48-year-old businessman.
An RCN is the closest instrument to an international arrest warrant. It requests provisional arrest of wanted persons with a view to extraditing them.
The ED wants the custody of the businessman to probe the alleged financial irregularities conducted by Koda during his tenure as Chief Minister of the mineral rich state under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
Koda was represented by senior advocates Shekhar Nafade and U U Lalit, who opposed the plea of the ED saying that in the trial court the Directorate had made a statement that the probe in the case was complete but now they are seeking more time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India