SC grants bail to former Jharkhand ministers in DA
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday granted provisional bail to two former Jharkhand ministers Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai, arrested in 2009 for allegedly possessing assets disproportionate to their known sources of income.
They were ministers when Madhu Koda was the chief minister in the UPA government between 2006 and 2008. Koda and his another former cabinet colleague Bhanu Pratap Sahi are still in judicial custody. Another ex-minister Kamlesh Singh recently got bail.
Ekka and Rai were granted bail by a bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Desai, who said the conditions for enlarging them on bail will be given in the order.
They had filed the appeals against the February 4, 2011 judgement of the Jharkhand High Court rejecting their bail pleas on the ground that they might tamper with evidence and influence witnesses, crucial for the prosecution to establish the case against them.
The apex court on March 18, 2011 had refused them bail saying the CBI was still probing the case and there were serious allegations against him.
Rai and Ekka, who had been ministers in erstwhile BJP-led NDA government and Madhu Koda-led coalition, were arrested in 2009 after a social activist filed a PIL before the Jharkhand High Court accusing them of amassing wealth more than their known source of income during their ministerial tenures between 2005 and 2008.
Both the former ministers are in judicial custody since Aug 17, 2009 when vigilance sleuths arrested them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray