Second phase of Delhi Metro before CWG: Sreedharan
Jamshedpur: The second phase of
work for Delhi Metro would be completed before Commonwealth
Games in October, which could be a world record, E Sreedharan,
Managing Director of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) said
"In fact, we are running much ahead of the deadline. It
would be a world record when the second phase of work is
finished before Commonwealth Games," he said after being
conferred the Sir Jehangir Ghandy medal for industrial and
social peace at XLRI during his career of 36 years in Indian
Referring to the first phase of work in Delhi metro,
he said, "The project was completed well before time and
within the allocated funds. The second phase of work is also
within budgetary limits."
He said the Kolkata Metro, which had taken 22 years to
complete with the expenditure going up by 14 times, the first
phase of Delhi Metro covering 65 km was completed not only
before schedule but within the budgetary allocations.
Around ten lakh more people would travel by Delhi Metro
after the second phase of work is finished, he said, adding
around 1.65 lakh vehicles will be off the roads.
The proposal to lay 20 km of high-speed line was part of
the metro network, which would connect New Delhi with the
international airport in 18 minutes, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what