Senior BJP leader Rudra Pratap Sarangi passed away
Jamshedpur: Senior BJP leader and former Parliamentarian Rudra Pratap Sarangi died after prolonged illness in his residence in Chakradharpur in West Singhbhum district on Monday.
He was 87.
Regarded as patriarch of BJP in mineral-rich Kolhan region of Jharkhand, Sarangi first became an MLA in 1962 as an Independent. In 1967,he won the assembly election on Jan Sangh ticket and became a minister in the M P Sinha-headed Bihar government.
Sarangi also won Lok Sabha polls two consecutive terms since 1977 as Janta Party nominee from Jamshedpur seat.
His funeral has taken place in Chakradharpur.
A host of party leaders arrived in Chakradharpur to pay their last tribute to the departed soul.
Describing him as patriarch of the party, former Jharkhand unit president of BJP, Dineshanand Goswami said Sarangi`s death caused an irreparable loss to the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok