Shinde to review security situation in Naxal-hit areas of Jharkhand
Ranchi: Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde will review progress in the security situation and development initiatives in the Naxal-affected districts of the Jharkhand on Tuesday.
Shinde`s Jharkhand visit comes against the backdrop of the ministry`s decision to deploy additional 10 battalions of paramilitary forces in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Bihar.
According to reports, Shinde and senior home ministry officers are scheduled to hold meetings with the state Governor Syed Ahmed, his two advisors -- K Vijay Kumar and Madhukar Gupta, besides senior civil and police officers.
The meeting will also take stock of various centrally-sponsored development schemes being presently run in Jharkhand.
In Jharkhand, Maoists have destroyed a large number of schools, roads, bridges, health centres, telephone towers and government buildings in the last few years.
Besides Jharkhand, Maoists have significantly increased their presence in tribal and rural regions of Chhattisgarh, Bihar, West Bengal and Odisha.
The Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of millions of landless labourers and marginal farmers. However, the government has termed them to be the main internal security threat and an obstacle to growth in Asia`s third-largest economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray