Shinde to review security situation in Naxal-hit areas of Jharkhand
Ranchi: Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde will review progress in the security situation and development initiatives in the Naxal-affected districts of the Jharkhand on Tuesday.
Shinde`s Jharkhand visit comes against the backdrop of the ministry`s decision to deploy additional 10 battalions of paramilitary forces in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Bihar.
According to reports, Shinde and senior home ministry officers are scheduled to hold meetings with the state Governor Syed Ahmed, his two advisors -- K Vijay Kumar and Madhukar Gupta, besides senior civil and police officers.
The meeting will also take stock of various centrally-sponsored development schemes being presently run in Jharkhand.
In Jharkhand, Maoists have destroyed a large number of schools, roads, bridges, health centres, telephone towers and government buildings in the last few years.
Besides Jharkhand, Maoists have significantly increased their presence in tribal and rural regions of Chhattisgarh, Bihar, West Bengal and Odisha.
The Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of millions of landless labourers and marginal farmers. However, the government has termed them to be the main internal security threat and an obstacle to growth in Asia`s third-largest economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report