Shutdown call a success in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The shutdown called by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to protest the petrol prices hike on Thursday was a success in Jharkhand, where the party is ruling.
"People have voluntarily kept shops shut in the state. The shutdown is successful and historic," state BJP president Dineshnanad Goswami told reporters in Jamshedpur.
Shops were closed, city buses and auto-rickshaw were not plying in many parts of the state.
The BJP workers, while enforcing the shutdown in Ranchi, put tyres on fire on main roads to hinder traffic, police said.
Hundreds of workers were arrested in Ranchi. The BJP`s Lok Sabha member PN Singh was also arrested along with the party workers in Dhanbad district, said a police officer.
The railway services were affected in districts of Ranchi, Koderma, Dhanbad and Giridih as protestors squatted on railway tracks to voice their anger against petrol price hike.
The coal transportation and mining activities also were affected in some parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room