Shutdown call a success in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The shutdown called by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to protest the petrol prices hike on Thursday was a success in Jharkhand, where the party is ruling.
"People have voluntarily kept shops shut in the state. The shutdown is successful and historic," state BJP president Dineshnanad Goswami told reporters in Jamshedpur.
Shops were closed, city buses and auto-rickshaw were not plying in many parts of the state.
The BJP workers, while enforcing the shutdown in Ranchi, put tyres on fire on main roads to hinder traffic, police said.
Hundreds of workers were arrested in Ranchi. The BJP`s Lok Sabha member PN Singh was also arrested along with the party workers in Dhanbad district, said a police officer.
The railway services were affected in districts of Ranchi, Koderma, Dhanbad and Giridih as protestors squatted on railway tracks to voice their anger against petrol price hike.
The coal transportation and mining activities also were affected in some parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!
- Three Naxals shot dead by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- Drug that helps addicts may benefit cancer patients too