Soren resigns; what next for Jharkand?
Ranchi: Three-time Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren resigned on Sunday night after failing to get the support of the Congress and its ally JVM(P) ahead of Monday`s trust vote in the Assembly.
The Chief Minister, who has only 25 MLAs behind him in the 82-member House, submitted the resignation letter to Governor M.O.H. Farook shortly after 10 p.m. at Raj Bhavan. Soren needed to muster a strength of 42 to sail through the vote.
Farooq asked him to continue as caretaker CM till further arrangements, Principal Secretary to Governor Sudhir Tripathi said.
Soren`s resignation came after he and his deputy, Sudesh Mahto, failed to woo the BJP back into the fold.
The 18-member BJP, along with 2 from the JD(U), withdrew support to his five-month-old government on May 24.
JMM legislative party leader and Soren`s son Hemant said, “We tried our best and appealed to all parties. If Guruji`s remaining as Chief Minister was a hurdle that has been removed now.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'