Soren resigns; what next for Jharkand?
Ranchi: Three-time Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren resigned on Sunday night after failing to get the support of the Congress and its ally JVM(P) ahead of Monday`s trust vote in the Assembly.
The Chief Minister, who has only 25 MLAs behind him in the 82-member House, submitted the resignation letter to Governor M.O.H. Farook shortly after 10 p.m. at Raj Bhavan. Soren needed to muster a strength of 42 to sail through the vote.
Farooq asked him to continue as caretaker CM till further arrangements, Principal Secretary to Governor Sudhir Tripathi said.
Soren`s resignation came after he and his deputy, Sudesh Mahto, failed to woo the BJP back into the fold.
The 18-member BJP, along with 2 from the JD(U), withdrew support to his five-month-old government on May 24.
JMM legislative party leader and Soren`s son Hemant said, “We tried our best and appealed to all parties. If Guruji`s remaining as Chief Minister was a hurdle that has been removed now.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?