Soren resigns; what next for Jharkand?
Ranchi: Three-time Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren resigned on Sunday night after failing to get the support of the Congress and its ally JVM(P) ahead of Monday`s trust vote in the Assembly.
The Chief Minister, who has only 25 MLAs behind him in the 82-member House, submitted the resignation letter to Governor M.O.H. Farook shortly after 10 p.m. at Raj Bhavan. Soren needed to muster a strength of 42 to sail through the vote.
Farooq asked him to continue as caretaker CM till further arrangements, Principal Secretary to Governor Sudhir Tripathi said.
Soren`s resignation came after he and his deputy, Sudesh Mahto, failed to woo the BJP back into the fold.
The 18-member BJP, along with 2 from the JD(U), withdrew support to his five-month-old government on May 24.
JMM legislative party leader and Soren`s son Hemant said, “We tried our best and appealed to all parties. If Guruji`s remaining as Chief Minister was a hurdle that has been removed now.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan