Soren scrambles for safe seat to fight Assembly poll
Ranchi: Once bitten, twice shy and hoping to be third time lucky. Shibu Soren, who has become Jharkhand Chief Minister for the third time and had to forgo the chair last January when he lost the Tamar Assembly by-poll, is determined to win this time and seems to have narrowed down the choice to two safe seats.
"I can fight from any of two seats, Jama and Jamtara," Soren told reporters in Bokaro Monday.
The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader, who took over as Chief Minister on December 30, needs to become a member of the state Assembly within six months.
Jama is represented in the Assembly by his daughter-in-law by Sita Soren, the widow of his eldest son Durga who died of liver failure in May last year. Jamtara`s legislator is also a member of the JMM, Vishnu Bhaiya.
JMM leaders are working hard to ensure that there is no repeat of the debacle in Tamar last year.
"Soren lost the Tamar Assembly poll as Congress played dirty. The hunt is on for a safer seat for Shibu Soren. We are calculating all aspects as the Congress alliance will again try to repeat what had happened in Tamar," a senior JMM leader said.
He said then alliance partner Congress had pushed Soren to fight from Tamar where the party has negligible presence.
Soren became Chief Minister for the first time in March 2005, for the second time in August 2008 and now for the third time in December 2009. He has been MP from Dumka on all three occasions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers