Special team to probe woman constable`s gang-rape
Ranchi: A Special Investigation Team (SIT) will probe the gang-rape of a woman constable in Jharkhand`s Latehar district while she was travelling with the body of a relative, police sources said on Monday.
The decision was taken after state police chief Rajiv Kumar visited Latehar on Sunday. Kumar met the victim and inspected the place where she was gang-raped.
The medical report confirmed that the woman constable was gang-raped last week.
Police sources said that the SIT team will include a forensic expert.
The woman constable was travelling with the dead body of a relative to Garwah when she was gang-raped in Latehar district last week.
Their vehicle was stopped near Jaldaga bridge of Latehar district, which is around 130 km from Ranchi.
The assailants allegedly gang-raped her in the vehicle in which the body was kept.
The woman constable is a widow who got the job on compassionate ground after her husband was killed by Maoists.
Police have interrogated at least 10 people.
Jharkhand has witnessed rise in rape cases.
In Pakur district, six girls were gang-raped at two places last month. A four-year-old girl was raped in Pakur last week. More than 700 rape cases have been registered in the state this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note