Stop framing innocents in Dhanbad firing incident: Shakeel
Ranchi: Congress on Wednesday accused the Arjun
Munda government of trying to frame "innocent" party workers
in connection with the April 27 police firing incident at
Matkoria in Dhanbad in which four persons were killed during
the anti-encroachment drive.
"The police are trying to selectively frame party
workers and intimidating eyewitnesses (during interrogation).
We condemn such steps and the Congress will oppose it tooth
and nail," AICC spokesman Shakeel Ahmed told newsmen here.
"The state government has been blaming the high court
for the anti-encroachment drive. But its advocates had
informed the high court that the administration would demolish
structures (in encroached land) in every district while the
court asked on selective places. This shows the government`s
dual policy with regard to the people`s interests," he
Ahmed, who is also the party`s in-charge for Jharkhand
Affairs, alleged that the government had not yet empowered the
panchayat bodies though elections had been held six months
As part of agitation, the Congress workers would go
for a day`s hunger strike at all block headquarters on May 16,
take out protest march from May 22 to 29 at various places in
districts and a rally would be held on May 31 to put pressure
on the government to work in the interest of the people and
"desist from heaping miseries on the people".
Ahmed also called on Governor M O H Farook, which the
Congress leader described as courtesy call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire