Strike paralyses life in Jharkhand; passes off peacefully
Ranchi: The nationwide strike called by BJP and other parties to protest diesel price hike, FDI in multi-brand retail and cap in subsidised LPG cylinders on Thursday affected normal life in Jharkhand.
Over 5,000 activists and leaders of different political parties, including ruling BJP, courted arrest during the strike, police sources said.
The strike passed off peacefully and the arrested people were let off later during the day, the sources said.
remained closed while truckers stayed off the road, affecting work at public and private sector companies.
Slogan-shouting bandh supporters squatted on railway tracks in Koderma, Dhanbad, Jamshedpur and other places disrupting train services, sources in the railways said.
Chairman of Jharkhand Truck Owners` Association Uday Shankar Ojha said the association’s protest would continue till midnight tonight to protest diesel hike and 50,000 trucks have kept off the roads.
The chairman of the Co-ordination Committee of the Federation of Jharkhand Chamber of Commerce and Industries, Sanjay Seth said after over a decade the business community of Jharkhand had hit the streets against the Centre’s `anti-people policies`.
He said the Chamber has also demanded waiving of VAT on petroleum products in the state.
JVM(P) chief Babulal Marandi, JMM vice president Sudhir Mahato, BJP president Dineshanand Goswami, Janata Dal (U) MLA Sudha Choudhary, CPI’s state secretary B P Mehta and CPI (M) secretary GN Bakshi led separate processions at different districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured