Strike paralyses life in Jharkhand; passes off peacefully
Ranchi: The nationwide strike called by BJP and other parties to protest diesel price hike, FDI in multi-brand retail and cap in subsidised LPG cylinders on Thursday affected normal life in Jharkhand.
Over 5,000 activists and leaders of different political parties, including ruling BJP, courted arrest during the strike, police sources said.
The strike passed off peacefully and the arrested people were let off later during the day, the sources said.
remained closed while truckers stayed off the road, affecting work at public and private sector companies.
Slogan-shouting bandh supporters squatted on railway tracks in Koderma, Dhanbad, Jamshedpur and other places disrupting train services, sources in the railways said.
Chairman of Jharkhand Truck Owners` Association Uday Shankar Ojha said the association’s protest would continue till midnight tonight to protest diesel hike and 50,000 trucks have kept off the roads.
The chairman of the Co-ordination Committee of the Federation of Jharkhand Chamber of Commerce and Industries, Sanjay Seth said after over a decade the business community of Jharkhand had hit the streets against the Centre’s `anti-people policies`.
He said the Chamber has also demanded waiving of VAT on petroleum products in the state.
JVM(P) chief Babulal Marandi, JMM vice president Sudhir Mahato, BJP president Dineshanand Goswami, Janata Dal (U) MLA Sudha Choudhary, CPI’s state secretary B P Mehta and CPI (M) secretary GN Bakshi led separate processions at different districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog