Students block highway as VBU varsity deadlock continues
Hazaribagh: Students blocked
the Ranchi-Patna national highway at several points to protest
against the non-functioning of Vinobha Bhave University and 19
constituent colleges in the district for past 81 days
following a strike by non-teaching staff, police said.
Normal life was thrown out of gear in Hazaribagh town as
college students blocked the arterial roads today alleging
that the prolonged strike was affecting their career, they
Students of St Columbas College and the KB Womens`
College blocked the highways and locked the gates of both
institutions, preventing the respective principals from
entering the colleges.
Maintaining they had no issue with the striking
non-teaching staff, the students pointed out they were
concerned about their career in the wake of not getting
certificates required for applying outside Jharkhand for
courses like medical, engineering, MBA and other competitive
examinations on all India basis.
Besides, due to non-publication of results and holding
examinations they feared they might have to lose a year or
Senior officials of the two institutions, accompanied by
police, removed the road blockades and gave the two principals
safe passage, police said.
General Secretary of the VBU Employees Association
Vijay Kumar vowed not to withdraw the strike till the state
accepted the main demand about implementation of Pay
Commission recommendation for the non-teaching staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31