Taxes in Jharkhand less compared to other states: Dy CM
Ranchi: Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren
on Wednesday said taxes in Jharkhand were very less in comparison to
other states, yet the state government would do whatever
necessary to address the problems of the poor.
"While Jharkhand is collecting every drop to fill-up
its pot (tax collections), other states are filling it up with
buckets," Soren said as he drove home his point that other
states had been collecting more taxes than Jharkhand.
"Still we will review it in the interest of the poor,"
Soren told PTI when asked whether the government would
rollback VAT as demanded by the opposition earlier in the
House that led to their walkout.
Recently the government imposed VAT on handkerchief,
towels, pillow covers and increased VAT on motor parts to 12
per cent and had stated that VAT in neighbouring states were
higher that of Jharkhand.
Various trade organisations had joined a protest
demonstration here on March 7, the day when Soren presented
the financial statement for the year 2011-12, demanding
rollback of VAT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video