Teenage girl struggling for life after being shot by Maoists
Ranchi: A teenage girl was shot by Maoist rebels in Jharkhand`s Latehar district for slapping rape charges on a Maoist leader, police said Friday. The victim is struggling for life in a hospital here.
Maoist guerrillas shot three bullets into 17-year-old Anju Kumari Thursday. She was injured critically and has been admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS).
"Anju sustained three bullets in her stomach. Her condition is critical," a doctor said.
Anju was shot when she was riding her bicycle in an area close to Latehar railway station. She was stopped by three motorcycle-borne Maoist rebels including the Maoist commander Pappu Lohra, who allegedly pumped three bullets into Anju`s stomach and then fled, police said.
According to police, Anju was shot because she was bold enough to lodge a first information report (FIR) against Lohra for abducting and raping her.
"Anju was shot because she dared to raise a voice against Maoists. She had lodged an FIR against Pappu Lohra. Anju had accused Pappu of raping her for two days in a jungle after abducting her," a police official told a news agency.
According to local journalists, Maoist rebels alleged it was the handiwork of the police to lodge fake rape charges against Lohra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal