Tribal families ostracised for converting to Christianity
Jamshedpur: Twenty-five tribal families belonging to the Ho tribe have been ostracised by the community`s apex social body for converting to Christianity in Badananda village of Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district.
This was decided at a meeting of the Adivasi Ho Samaj Mahasabha, its president Madhusudan Marla said alleging that conversions have taken place because of allurements.
Block Development Officer of Jagannathpur, Pradip Kumar Shukla, who was present at the meeting and recorded the statements of leaders of both the communities, said an action will be taken if these families are prevented from using any public utility.
Shukla said that the meeting was held peacefully with adequate security and two magistrates were deputed.
Marla said the Mahasabha decided that the families which had converted would not be allowed to fetch water from wells dug by villagers and no one would attend their family occasions such as marriage and death. They were debarred from religious places of the tribe.
The families could, however, utilise all facilities provided by the government including wells and tubewells, he said.
Marla said that the families, which converted to Christianity from the Sarna religion, had been given enough time to rethink their decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum