Tribal families ostracised for converting to Christianity
Jamshedpur: Twenty-five tribal families belonging to the Ho tribe have been ostracised by the community`s apex social body for converting to Christianity in Badananda village of Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district.
This was decided at a meeting of the Adivasi Ho Samaj Mahasabha, its president Madhusudan Marla said alleging that conversions have taken place because of allurements.
Block Development Officer of Jagannathpur, Pradip Kumar Shukla, who was present at the meeting and recorded the statements of leaders of both the communities, said an action will be taken if these families are prevented from using any public utility.
Shukla said that the meeting was held peacefully with adequate security and two magistrates were deputed.
Marla said the Mahasabha decided that the families which had converted would not be allowed to fetch water from wells dug by villagers and no one would attend their family occasions such as marriage and death. They were debarred from religious places of the tribe.
The families could, however, utilise all facilities provided by the government including wells and tubewells, he said.
Marla said that the families, which converted to Christianity from the Sarna religion, had been given enough time to rethink their decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price