Tribal families ostracised for converting to Christianity
Jamshedpur: Twenty-five tribal families belonging to the Ho tribe have been ostracised by the community`s apex social body for converting to Christianity in Badananda village of Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district.
This was decided at a meeting of the Adivasi Ho Samaj Mahasabha, its president Madhusudan Marla said alleging that conversions have taken place because of allurements.
Block Development Officer of Jagannathpur, Pradip Kumar Shukla, who was present at the meeting and recorded the statements of leaders of both the communities, said an action will be taken if these families are prevented from using any public utility.
Shukla said that the meeting was held peacefully with adequate security and two magistrates were deputed.
Marla said the Mahasabha decided that the families which had converted would not be allowed to fetch water from wells dug by villagers and no one would attend their family occasions such as marriage and death. They were debarred from religious places of the tribe.
The families could, however, utilise all facilities provided by the government including wells and tubewells, he said.
Marla said that the families, which converted to Christianity from the Sarna religion, had been given enough time to rethink their decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row