Tribals protest against Maoists in Ranchi`s Tamar block
Ranchi: Raising slogans against the Maoists and threatening to chase them away, hundreds of tribals held a demonstration in Tamar block of Jharkhand`s Ranchi district on Thursday.
Tamar block has seen a series of attacks by Naxalites including the kidnapping and beheading of Special Branch Inspector Francis Induwar.
Among the protesters was 75-year-old Narayan Pahan, the father of Kundan Pahan, one of Jharkhand`s most-wanted Maoists.
Tamar is Kundan`s birthplace.
Kundan, who is known as the Veerappan of Jharkhand and is active in the bordering areas of Ranchi, Khuti and Jamshedpur is also accused of killing former minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Ramesh Singh Munda in 2008.
The police claimed he is also involved in looting Rs 50 million and gold ingots from the delivery van of a private bank in June last year.
With the Maoist writ running in the area, government officials do not visit remote villages here despite security forces being stationed in strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi