Tribals protest against Maoists in Ranchi`s Tamar block
Ranchi: Raising slogans against the Maoists and threatening to chase them away, hundreds of tribals held a demonstration in Tamar block of Jharkhand`s Ranchi district on Thursday.
Tamar block has seen a series of attacks by Naxalites including the kidnapping and beheading of Special Branch Inspector Francis Induwar.
Among the protesters was 75-year-old Narayan Pahan, the father of Kundan Pahan, one of Jharkhand`s most-wanted Maoists.
Tamar is Kundan`s birthplace.
Kundan, who is known as the Veerappan of Jharkhand and is active in the bordering areas of Ranchi, Khuti and Jamshedpur is also accused of killing former minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Ramesh Singh Munda in 2008.
The police claimed he is also involved in looting Rs 50 million and gold ingots from the delivery van of a private bank in June last year.
With the Maoist writ running in the area, government officials do not visit remote villages here despite security forces being stationed in strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report