Two children buried alive as mud house caves in Jamshedpur
Jamshedpur: Two children were buried alive while three others suffered injuries when a mud house caved in owing to incessant rains in Somai Jhopri area here while many families living in low-lying areas were affected as rivers Swarnarekha and Kharkhai were flowing above danger mark, official sources said on Wednesday.
Seven-year-old Santoshi and her five-year-old brother Ansu were killed while three other family members including her mother and grandmother were injured when their mud house caved in last night while they were sleeping, the sources said.
According to Met office sources, the steel city of Jamshedpur experienced 60.3 mm rainfall since yesterday while 42.6 mm rainfall recorded a day before.
The river Kharkhai was flowing over five meter at 134.080 m against danger level of 129 m while Swarnarekha was flowing at 123.10 m against the red mark 121.50 m.
Four sluice gates in Odisha`s adjoining Mayurbhanj district were opened last night which lead to the water level to increase in the rivers Swarnarekha and Kharkhai, official sources said, adding two of the gates in the adjoining state were closed this afternoon.
Low-lying areas such as Shastrinagar, Bagbera, Daiguttu, Mango in East Singhbhum and Adityapur and Rajnagar in adjoining Seraikela-Kharswan were submerged due to the rise in water level affecting the families, who were evacuated to safer places, sources said.
The families living in low-lying Naya Basti, Shivnagar, Parvatinagar areas were shifted to a primary school building and shiv temples.
The Deputy Commissioner of East Singhbhum Amitabh Kaushal visited the affected places to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL