Two killed in crossfire between Maoist, security forces in Jharkhand
Gumla: Two persons were killed and six others were injured when they were caught in an encounter between security personnel and Maoists in Gumla district of Jharkhand on Wednesday, prompting Chief Minister Hemant Soren to order a probe into the incident.
"Truck driver Heeralal Oraon (30) and labourer Nilesh Oraon (26) died while Ashok Oraon, Sureshwar Oraon, Sameer Oraon and Upendra Oraon were injured in crossfire between Maoists and security forces at Marwai village under Bishanpur police station early in the morning," said Mritunjay Kumar, Superintendent of Police (Lohardaga district), who is also acting SP of Gumla district.
Kumar said they received an information that a group of naxals have gathered in the village and the security personnel arrived there to apprehend them.
When the security personnel made an attempt to intercept a bauxite-laden truck, firing started from other side, which forced them to retaliate, the SP said, adding, that it was not yet ascertained whether the victims including the truck driver were killed by security personnel or Maoists bullets.
The injured were rushed to the nearby Bishanpur Community hospital, where doctors referred two seriously injured persons to Rajendra Institute Medical Science in Ranchi, Kumar said.
Senior police officials including DIG (Ranchi) Praveen Kumar Singh have reached the spot to investigate the incident.
Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren described the incident as unfortunate and directed the South Chottanagpur Commissioner K K Khandelwal and IGP (Zonal) M S Bhati to probe into the incident and take action against the guilty, an official release said in Ranchi.
Soren also announced Rs 10 lakh as compensation to the next of kin of the two persons killed in the crossfire.
He also announced Rs one lakh to each of the injured, besides instructing free treatment, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM