Two of 14 chargesheeted Maoists innocent, admits police
Jamshedpur: Jharkhand police on Wednesday admitted
that two of the 14 chargesheeted Maoists were innocent and
falsely implicated, four days after the ultras demanded their
release after abducting Dalbhumgarh BDO Prasant Kumar Layek.
"After interrogating about 10-12 arrested persons in
Ghatsila sub-divisional jail today, two persons -- Jasmi Mardi
and her father Bahadur Mardi -- were found innocent. They had
been falsely implicated by Jasmi`s husband Ramrai Hembram, a
police constable," Zonal IG Rezi Dung Dung told a news
conference at Ghatsila.
Dung Dung said he had met 10-12 chargesheeted Maoists and
about four to five cases, including Mardis`, were needed to be
The case of the Mardis was clearly intentional and
negligence on the part of police, he said.
After receiving directive from the Home department, the
police moved the court praying to allow reinvestigation
against Ashwini Murmu, Lusa Baske, Arjun Soren and Sukra
Police have procured court permission under section
173(8) CrPC for reinvestigation of the cases, he said.
Actions have been initiated to meet the demands of the
Maoists and so they should set free Layek, the officer said.
Referring to Jasmi Mardi`s case, the IG said Hembram, her
husband, had implicated the two after his move to remarry was
The Maoists have also demanded the withdrawal of forces
and stopping search operation in Ghorabandha police station
area for the release of Layek.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days