Two of 14 chargesheeted Maoists innocent, admits police
Jamshedpur: Jharkhand police on Wednesday admitted
that two of the 14 chargesheeted Maoists were innocent and
falsely implicated, four days after the ultras demanded their
release after abducting Dalbhumgarh BDO Prasant Kumar Layek.
"After interrogating about 10-12 arrested persons in
Ghatsila sub-divisional jail today, two persons -- Jasmi Mardi
and her father Bahadur Mardi -- were found innocent. They had
been falsely implicated by Jasmi`s husband Ramrai Hembram, a
police constable," Zonal IG Rezi Dung Dung told a news
conference at Ghatsila.
Dung Dung said he had met 10-12 chargesheeted Maoists and
about four to five cases, including Mardis`, were needed to be
The case of the Mardis was clearly intentional and
negligence on the part of police, he said.
After receiving directive from the Home department, the
police moved the court praying to allow reinvestigation
against Ashwini Murmu, Lusa Baske, Arjun Soren and Sukra
Police have procured court permission under section
173(8) CrPC for reinvestigation of the cases, he said.
Actions have been initiated to meet the demands of the
Maoists and so they should set free Layek, the officer said.
Referring to Jasmi Mardi`s case, the IG said Hembram, her
husband, had implicated the two after his move to remarry was
The Maoists have also demanded the withdrawal of forces
and stopping search operation in Ghorabandha police station
area for the release of Layek.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow