UID can reform delivery system: Nilekani
Ranchi: The ambitious `Aadhaar` project
was able to bring about reformation in the delivery system of
various welfare schemes, Chairman of the Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI), Nandan Nilekani, said on Friday.
"The delivery system can be reformed through Aadhaar.
And from October the Unique Identification Authority of India
will start enrolling ten lakh people per day (across the
country)," Nilekani told reporters here.
The UID would benefit in making payments to the
beneficiaries of MNREGA, old-age pension schemes, public
distribution system and other applications, he added.
Stating that enrolment of UID would not be made
mandatory, he said, "So many benefits would come to the people
through Aadhaar. So we believe more and more people will come
forward to have Aadhaar."
"Aadhaar is just an identity number, and not a proof
for nationality," he said.
Saying that 90 lakh people have enrolled in Jharkhand
with 6.5 lakh UDI being generated, the technocrat said work in
West Bengal and Bihar would kick off soon.
"I met Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda. He has a
very good understanding of UID," he added.
The Director General of UIDAI, R S Sharma, said Munda
had directed the officials to move in a time-bound manner to
complete the task in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends