Villagers clash with police over marriage of minors
Hazaribagh (Jharkhand): At least a dozen persons, including policemen, were injured when villagers went berserk against a forcible marriage of two minors belonging to separate communities of Adra and Sultana villages in Hazaribagh district.
When the news reached the villagers that marriage of 15-year-old boy and girl was solemnised by the two families at the instance of the village head, agitated villagers put up road blockade and pelted stones at the police when the personnel reached the spot, Superintendent of Police Manoj Kaushik told the media here.
The police called the elders of the families of the girl and the boy and convinced them that it was illegal to get minors married, he said, adding the parents agreed to take back the boy and the girl to their respective homes.
Later, the villagers gave a memorandum to the SP stating that some extremists of the left breakaway Jharkhand Prastuti Committee had forced the village head to solemnise the illegal marriage recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack