Villagers clash with police over marriage of minors
Hazaribagh (Jharkhand): At least a dozen persons, including policemen, were injured when villagers went berserk against a forcible marriage of two minors belonging to separate communities of Adra and Sultana villages in Hazaribagh district.
When the news reached the villagers that marriage of 15-year-old boy and girl was solemnised by the two families at the instance of the village head, agitated villagers put up road blockade and pelted stones at the police when the personnel reached the spot, Superintendent of Police Manoj Kaushik told the media here.
The police called the elders of the families of the girl and the boy and convinced them that it was illegal to get minors married, he said, adding the parents agreed to take back the boy and the girl to their respective homes.
Later, the villagers gave a memorandum to the SP stating that some extremists of the left breakaway Jharkhand Prastuti Committee had forced the village head to solemnise the illegal marriage recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’