Voting begins to decide Munda`s fate in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Polling began on Thursday amid heavy security for a by-election from Kharsawa in Jharkhand where Arjun Munda is trying his luck to remain the chief minister.
Polling began at 7 am and will end at 3 pm. Long queues were seen at the polling booths.
Around 12 companies of state and paramilitary forces have been deployed. Helicopters are also being used for surveillance.
Seven candidates are in the fray and their fate is to be decided by 1.54 lakh voters. The vote count will take place Feb 17.
The main contest is between Arjun Munda and Krishna Gagarai of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), who is the common opposition candidate.
Gagarai is supported by the Congress and former mentors of Munda like Shailendra Mahto, Suraj Singh Besra and others.
Munda needs to win the election and become a member of the state assembly to fulfill a constitutional necessity as the six-month period since his swearing-in as chief minister in September is about to end.
Munda won from Kharsawa in 1995 on Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) ticket. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) just before the 2000 assembly elections. He again won the seat in 2000 and 2005 on BJP ticket.
In 2009, BJP`s Mangal Singh Soy won the seat. He resigned last year to facilitate Munda to get elected to the assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?