Will try to find solution to naxal problem: Farooq
Ranchi: Newly sworn in Jharkhand Governor
MOH Farooq on Friday said he would try and find out solutions to
the nearly decade-old Naxalite problem in the state.
"There are so many features to study on it (Naxalite
problem) like why it happened. What are the things (which led
to it). I will try to find solutions," Farooq said at a news
conference when asked what suggestions did he have to bring
about solutions to the Maoist menace.
"I feel sorry for it," he said when his attention was
drawn on how naxalites have allegedly been running a parallel
government in Jharkhand by way of collections of levy (a term
naxalites use for extortion from various quarters).
"...Violence in any form creates confusion,
instability and a lot of unhappiness. Violence cannot give any
result. I will speak to the Chief Minister (Shibu Soren) on
naxalites," he added.
The Maoists have a presence in 20 out of 24 districts
of the state. Soren offered peace talks to the Naxalites soon
after he took over as Chief Minister on December 30 but they
are yet to respond.
Describing Soren as an `old colleague` as he recalled
their parliament days in 2001, Farooq said as a constitutional
head he would help in whatever way to put development of the
state in the fast-track.
"I voted in the House for separate Jharkhand state,
little knowing I would one day become the Governor of the same
state. God`s ways are mysterious," he said.
The Governor, who is ex-officio head of the Tribal
Advisory Council, said he would look into tribal welfare as
"I met the President (Pratibha Patil) on Wednesday.
She advised me on tribal welfare. If there is any injustice we
will help (them)," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!
- Watch: This rare video of young Varun Dhawan will leave you astonished!