Yashwant Sinha demands CBI probe into J’khand poll
New Delhi: Lauding the Election Commission for
its "bold" decision of scrapping the Rajya Sabha poll in
Jharkhand, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha has asked it to get a
thorough probe conducted by the CBI or any other agency into
the events since the start of election process.
In a letter to Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi,
Sinha noted that Jharkhand had become a "happy hunting ground
for unscrupulous moneybags" and asked the poll body to
investigate the role of MLAs and why they agreed to sign the
nomination papers of independent candidates. He demanded that
those found guilty of electoral malpractices be barred from
contesting election "for the maximum permissible period".
"Those found guilty of electoral malpractices, both
amongst candidates and their proposers, should be barred from
contesting elections for the maximum permissible period," he
wrote to Quraishi.
The BJP leader also asked the CEC to separately proceed
against those legislators found guilty under the Prevention of
Corruption Act, they being public servants.
He also demanded that the expenditure limit for RS poll be
reduced drastically to a few thousand rupees, as they are
indirect elections and said Quraishi should ask all candidates
who filed their nominations to submit their election
expenditure statements and get the same strictly scrutinised
from the investigation agency with reference to the facts
emerging during the investigation.
Sinha asked EC to exercise strict vigilance from the start
of election process in future, as done in Lok Sabha and
Assembly polls and feared "what would have happened if the
cash would not have been seized and the Commission not
cancelled the election".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg