Yashwant Sinha demands CBI probe into J’khand poll
New Delhi: Lauding the Election Commission for
its "bold" decision of scrapping the Rajya Sabha poll in
Jharkhand, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha has asked it to get a
thorough probe conducted by the CBI or any other agency into
the events since the start of election process.
In a letter to Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi,
Sinha noted that Jharkhand had become a "happy hunting ground
for unscrupulous moneybags" and asked the poll body to
investigate the role of MLAs and why they agreed to sign the
nomination papers of independent candidates. He demanded that
those found guilty of electoral malpractices be barred from
contesting election "for the maximum permissible period".
"Those found guilty of electoral malpractices, both
amongst candidates and their proposers, should be barred from
contesting elections for the maximum permissible period," he
wrote to Quraishi.
The BJP leader also asked the CEC to separately proceed
against those legislators found guilty under the Prevention of
Corruption Act, they being public servants.
He also demanded that the expenditure limit for RS poll be
reduced drastically to a few thousand rupees, as they are
indirect elections and said Quraishi should ask all candidates
who filed their nominations to submit their election
expenditure statements and get the same strictly scrutinised
from the investigation agency with reference to the facts
emerging during the investigation.
Sinha asked EC to exercise strict vigilance from the start
of election process in future, as done in Lok Sabha and
Assembly polls and feared "what would have happened if the
cash would not have been seized and the Commission not
cancelled the election".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...