10 lakh voters more in Karnataka
Bangalore: Karnataka has witnessed an increase of about 10 lakh voters for the Lok Sabha polls till January 31, compared to Assembly Elections held in May 2013.
"As of now, total number of voters in the state as on 31 January 2014 is 4,46,43,877. This is around 70 percent of our population," Karnataka Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told reporters here today.
He said the total number of male voters in the state was 2,27,78,644 and female 2,18,65,233.
Jha said during the assembly elections, number of voters in the state was 4,36,52,706 which had reached 4,46,43,877, an increase of 10 lakh voters compared to May 2013.
Stating that the process of continues updating of voters list is on, he said "voters whose name is not there in the voters list has opportunity to get enrolled till March 16 by submitting Form 6."
He said about 8 lakh voters are of the age group 18-19 years, but this has a scope for improvement.
In Karnataka elections will be held on April 17.
He said the model code of conduct has come into effect today soon after the announcement of the schedule for elections.
Pointing out that there are right now 54,261 polling stations spread over entire 28 parliamentary constituencies and 224 Assembly constituencies, he said "may be about thousand and odd polling stations will be included depending on how many new applications we get in those polling stations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre