105 prisoners may be released on August 15th
Bangalore: The Karnataka government has
recommended the names of 105 prisoners to Governor HR
Bhardwaj for early release on Independence Day.
Speaking to reporters, Minister for Social Welfare and
Prison, Narayanaswamy said the advisory committee of the
social welfare department had shortlisted the names after
perusing the good behaviour track record of the prisoners.
Last time, the government had put forward a list of 700
names for early release, which the governor had turned down.
Listing government`s other initiatives in terms of prisons,
he said it was focussing on a Rs 8 crore modernisation
programme in the prisons.
Jammers would be installed in the jails to prevent inmates
from engaging in illegal activities.Body scanners would also
be installed in these prisons.
There was a proposal to recruit 400-800 persons to fill
the vacancies for manning these prisons.
Replying to a question, he said the report on the clash
between security personnel and inmates in Hubli recently was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren