20 sentenced to life imprisonment in Dalit murder case
Mysore: A local court here on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment all the 20 accused in connection with the murder of three Dalits following a caste clash in 1993 in the district.
The accused, all upper caste Hindus, were found guilty of murdering the Dalits of Badanwal village during the clash that broke out over objection to the entry of Dalits into a local temple.
Sixth Additional Sessions Special Judge LF Malavalli, who had recently convicted the 20 pronounced the sentence today.
The accused were charged with the murder of Narayanaswamy, Madukar and Nataraj following a clash among the Dalits and upper caste Hindus on March 25, 1993.
Police had filed a chargesheet against 23 persons, but three of them died during the prolonged trial.
According to the chargesheet, the accused assembled in a field in the village and attacked the Dalits using weapons.
Three Dalits had died following serious injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand