20 sentenced to life imprisonment in Dalit murder case
Mysore: A local court here on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment all the 20 accused in connection with the murder of three Dalits following a caste clash in 1993 in the district.
The accused, all upper caste Hindus, were found guilty of murdering the Dalits of Badanwal village during the clash that broke out over objection to the entry of Dalits into a local temple.
Sixth Additional Sessions Special Judge LF Malavalli, who had recently convicted the 20 pronounced the sentence today.
The accused were charged with the murder of Narayanaswamy, Madukar and Nataraj following a clash among the Dalits and upper caste Hindus on March 25, 1993.
Police had filed a chargesheet against 23 persons, but three of them died during the prolonged trial.
According to the chargesheet, the accused assembled in a field in the village and attacked the Dalits using weapons.
Three Dalits had died following serious injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen