20 sentenced to life imprisonment in Dalit murder case
Mysore: A local court here on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment all the 20 accused in connection with the murder of three Dalits following a caste clash in 1993 in the district.
The accused, all upper caste Hindus, were found guilty of murdering the Dalits of Badanwal village during the clash that broke out over objection to the entry of Dalits into a local temple.
Sixth Additional Sessions Special Judge LF Malavalli, who had recently convicted the 20 pronounced the sentence today.
The accused were charged with the murder of Narayanaswamy, Madukar and Nataraj following a clash among the Dalits and upper caste Hindus on March 25, 1993.
Police had filed a chargesheet against 23 persons, but three of them died during the prolonged trial.
According to the chargesheet, the accused assembled in a field in the village and attacked the Dalits using weapons.
Three Dalits had died following serious injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested