22 killed in road mishap in Karnataka`s Belgaum district
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: Twenty two people were killed in a major road mishap in Karnataka’s Belgaum district on Saturday. The victims include nine women and five children.
The unfortunate accident happened when a when a mini-truck in which they were travelling toppled on a highway near Belgaum.
"The accident took place around 5.30 am when the goods vehicle overturned after its driver lost control and hit a roadside kerb at Halki cross while going to Savadatti in Maharashtra from Yadgir district," Police Inspector SD Gudnavar told a news agency.
There were 35 people, including women and children, on the ill-fated vehicle, out of which 14 were injured and were taken to a state-run hospital at Murgod, 5 km from the accident spot.
"The passengers were mostly labourers going to Savadatti for work on daily wages from Surupur in Yadgir," Gudnavar said.
Police have registered a case against the driver and the vehicle`s owner under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for rash and negligent driving resulting in deaths.
Two days back, seven people were charred to death and 40 others injured when a Mumbai-bound Volvo bus from Bangalore caught fire after hitting a road divider near Kunimelli bridge in Haveri district of Karnataka.
Two weeks back, in Andhra Pradesh 45 people had died when a Hyderabad-bound bus from Bangalore caught fire after hitting the median on the national highway in Mahabubnagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow