500 kg Ammonium Nitrate seized in poll-bound Karnataka
Bangalore: Authorities have seized 500 kg Ammonium Nitrate, used recently to carry out blasts in the Karnataka capital, from Kolar district of the state, officials said.
The huge seizure of the chemical, widely used to make explosives, was made yesterday by a Election Commission appointed flying squad deployed to check illegal activities in the run up to the May 5 polls in the state, they said.
The team seized 25 bags, each containing 20 kg Ammonium Nitrate, and arrested one person named Mehboob from Kolar district.
The police is probing the case now.
The bags show that the chemical was made in South Korea, a senior official said.
The state capital had witnessed blasts on April 17 which injured 16 people, including 11 policemen, and security agencies had concluded that nitrate compounds were used.
Meanwhile, the EC-appointed teams also seized over Rs 11 crore cash and 49,000 litres of liquor in the poll-bound state.
The special teams have also seized other items worth Rs 3.76 crore after they were suspected to be used to lure voters, a source said.
"The total cash seizure till now is Rs 11.80 crore, while a total of 49,132 litres of illegal liquor have been seized in the poll-bound state," he said.
EC has deputed a team of Income Tax department officers and other state government officials along with state police to keep a tab on illegal cash, liquor and inducements suspected to be used in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?