500 MLD additional drinking water to flow to Bangalore
Bangalore: A new phase of Cauvery Water Supply Scheme that will bring an additional 500 million litres per day of diking water to the city aimed at benefiting 20 lakh more people would be inaugurated tomorrow by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar.
Minister for Urban Development and Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board S Suresh Kumar told reporters here that the Rs 1,740 crore project with financial assistance of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has been completed in 32 months.
Officials said it would give much needed relief to the outer areas of the city. They said it would directly benefit Yelahanka, Byatarayanapura, KR Puram, Mahadevapura, Bommanahalli, Rajarajeshwarinagar, Dasarahalli and Kengeri city municipal corporations/town municipal corporations besides improving water supply to other parts of Bangalore.
Kumar said 300 MLD would be pumped into the city to start with. He said 89,OOO applications have been received from these areas, and of them, 10,000 water connections have been given.
As much as 935 MLD are currently supplied in Bangalore, whereas the demand is for at least 1,400 MLD. With this project, the supply would go up to 1,350 MLD, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wow! This self-driving robot can deliver food to your door (Watch)
- 2nd conviction in coal scam; 3 top officials of Rathi steel convicted
- Photo alert! ‘Baazigar’ jodi Shah Rukh Khan-Shilpa Shetty looks like this now
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit