53 historical monuments in Bijapur encroached
Bijapur: Out of the 80 historical monuments here protected by the Archaeological Survey of India, as many as 53 have been encroached, a senior Archaeological Survey of India official said on Saturday.
Talking to reporters at the premises of famous historical monument Golgumbaz here, Southern Region Director of ASI SV Venkateshiah said all efforts were on to remove the illegal encroachments.
He said these monuments were denotified by district administration without the knowledge of ASI in 2005 which came to the agency`s notice of ASI two years later.
Since then, the ASI was making all efforts to acquire back these monuments, he said, adding "the legal process to bring back the monuments under the ambit of ASI is still on".
However, awareness needs to be created among the general public regarding protection of historical monuments.
Venkateshaiah said for the convenience of physically challenged tourists, battery operated wheelchair services would soon be provided at Golgumbaz.
Beautification of Rani Mahal and Ramling Lake will also be taken up during this financial year, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know