53 historical monuments in Bijapur encroached
Bijapur: Out of the 80 historical monuments here protected by the Archaeological Survey of India, as many as 53 have been encroached, a senior Archaeological Survey of India official said on Saturday.
Talking to reporters at the premises of famous historical monument Golgumbaz here, Southern Region Director of ASI SV Venkateshiah said all efforts were on to remove the illegal encroachments.
He said these monuments were denotified by district administration without the knowledge of ASI in 2005 which came to the agency`s notice of ASI two years later.
Since then, the ASI was making all efforts to acquire back these monuments, he said, adding "the legal process to bring back the monuments under the ambit of ASI is still on".
However, awareness needs to be created among the general public regarding protection of historical monuments.
Venkateshaiah said for the convenience of physically challenged tourists, battery operated wheelchair services would soon be provided at Golgumbaz.
Beautification of Rani Mahal and Ramling Lake will also be taken up during this financial year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi