A R Infant appointed as DGP in Karnataka
Bangalore: A day after Karnataka High Court
struck down appointment of Shankar Bidari as DGP and IG and
his empanelment and consequent appointment as `null and void`,
the state government on Saturday appointed A R Infant in his place.
The court, in its verdict yesterday had struck down
Bidari`s appointment as state DGP and IG for alleged
atrocities committed by the STF led by him during the hunt to
nab forest brigand Veerappan.
It had dismissed as "without merit and substance", petitions
by the government and Bidari, challenging the Central
Administrative Tribunal order and held his empanelment by UPSC
and consequent appointment as "void and illegal" and upheld
the CAT verdict.
The court had also directed the government should relieve
Bidari forthwith and appoint A R Infant in his place.
Infant was DGP Fire and emergency Services before his
Earlier Home Minister R Ashoka had said Infant would be
appointed to the post, saying Chief Minister D V Sadananda
Gowda had a meeting with senior officers, after which it was
decided to give charge to A R Infant as DGP.
He also said the government would move the Supreme Court
against the High Court verdict, as it has to protect the
interests of the state.
"Since the appointment of the DGP comes under the state
government, we have told our Advocate General to appeal in
Supreme Court", Asoka said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared