A R Infant appointed as DGP in Karnataka
Bangalore: A day after Karnataka High Court
struck down appointment of Shankar Bidari as DGP and IG and
his empanelment and consequent appointment as `null and void`,
the state government on Saturday appointed A R Infant in his place.
The court, in its verdict yesterday had struck down
Bidari`s appointment as state DGP and IG for alleged
atrocities committed by the STF led by him during the hunt to
nab forest brigand Veerappan.
It had dismissed as "without merit and substance", petitions
by the government and Bidari, challenging the Central
Administrative Tribunal order and held his empanelment by UPSC
and consequent appointment as "void and illegal" and upheld
the CAT verdict.
The court had also directed the government should relieve
Bidari forthwith and appoint A R Infant in his place.
Infant was DGP Fire and emergency Services before his
Earlier Home Minister R Ashoka had said Infant would be
appointed to the post, saying Chief Minister D V Sadananda
Gowda had a meeting with senior officers, after which it was
decided to give charge to A R Infant as DGP.
He also said the government would move the Supreme Court
against the High Court verdict, as it has to protect the
interests of the state.
"Since the appointment of the DGP comes under the state
government, we have told our Advocate General to appeal in
Supreme Court", Asoka said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Donald Trump accuses Hillary Clinton for email scandal of Democratic party
- Thinking like a batsman the mantra for successful field placing: Virat Kohli
- NIA files charge sheet against three men deported from UAE for ISIS links
- Can't be blamed if my sermons inspire jihadists: Zakir Naik
- Save your mobile data! Google Maps to get Wi-Fi only mode and more for Android