A R Infant appointed as DGP in Karnataka
Bangalore: A day after Karnataka High Court
struck down appointment of Shankar Bidari as DGP and IG and
his empanelment and consequent appointment as `null and void`,
the state government on Saturday appointed A R Infant in his place.
The court, in its verdict yesterday had struck down
Bidari`s appointment as state DGP and IG for alleged
atrocities committed by the STF led by him during the hunt to
nab forest brigand Veerappan.
It had dismissed as "without merit and substance", petitions
by the government and Bidari, challenging the Central
Administrative Tribunal order and held his empanelment by UPSC
and consequent appointment as "void and illegal" and upheld
the CAT verdict.
The court had also directed the government should relieve
Bidari forthwith and appoint A R Infant in his place.
Infant was DGP Fire and emergency Services before his
Earlier Home Minister R Ashoka had said Infant would be
appointed to the post, saying Chief Minister D V Sadananda
Gowda had a meeting with senior officers, after which it was
decided to give charge to A R Infant as DGP.
He also said the government would move the Supreme Court
against the High Court verdict, as it has to protect the
interests of the state.
"Since the appointment of the DGP comes under the state
government, we have told our Advocate General to appeal in
Supreme Court", Asoka said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands