Action will taken against those who assault police: Bidari
Bangalore: City Police Commissioner Shankar
Bidari Wednesday warned of stringent action against those who
either verbally or physically assault police personnel.
"We will not tolerate any person assaulting police or
verbally abusing them. It is money power and influence of
alcohol which makes people stoop to such things. Stringent
action will taken against such persons", he said at a function
He referred to an incident where a student was caught for
not wearing a helmet and speaking over his cellphone while
riding, which "was blown out of proportion" (by the media).
Only the student`s allegation that he was punched by
police was highlighted when the fact was that he had hit the
constbale who was only doing his duty, he said.
Bidari said the number of fatal accidents annually had
come down from 1,300 to 700 while the number of non fatal
accidents stood at 51,000 every year.
Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic & Internal
Security) Praveen Sood who was also present urged the public
to cooperate with police.
Manthan Systems, the firm which organised the function,
distributed 300 kits to the city traffic police, comprising a
jherkin, a rechargeable torch and an umbrella.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened