Advani says party had cautioned Yeddyurappa
Nagpur: Virtually admitting embarrassment on
account of B S Yeddyurappa`s arrest in an alleged land scam,
L K Advani today said it will be difficult to win against the
"corrupt" Congress if his party too is bedevilled by similar
However, he asked the Congress to see the writing on the
wall in the wake of Monday`s rout in by elections and said the
UPA government could be pulled down if any of its allies
chooses to do so.
Addressing a press conference here, Advani initially
parried a question on Yeddyurappa but later admitted that the
party suffered embarrassment on account of former Karnataka
chief minister`s arrest.
"We don`t take our internal weaknesses lightly. This thing
was vindicated in Karnataka clearly. We had cautioned him but
once the report (of Lokayukta on illegal mining) came, he had
to quit. Small mistakes by others is embarrassing the party
leadership. There may be chances of a slip up so I am telling
every one in the party to remain vigilant," he said.
Advani went on to add that the party was fully conscious
of the fact that "no party can win the confidence of the
people against the present corruption of the Congress party
if it`s own house is bedevilled by similar weaknessses."
He also described the present political situation as
"very uncertain" and said no one can predict what is likely to
happen. Someone in the government may say they will continue
in power for another two years and someone in opposition may
affirm that the government will not last long.
"I cannot say either way. The uncertain political
situation depended essentially on the government and whatever
remains of the UPA if one of them wants to pull it down.
But the Opposition by itself cannot pull it down," he said.
Advani said while in the case of Rajiv Gandhi`s
government V P Singh pulled it down, Congress is fortunate
that "there is no V P Singh now".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players