Advocates in Karnataka call off stir

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 19:35

Bangalore: Advocates in Karnataka on Tuesday called
off their 18-day stir to demand action against police and
mediapersons for `assaulting` some of them during the March 2
violence in the civil court premises after the government
assured them that appropriate action would be taken against
those found guilty.

"Action will be initiated against police found guilty by
the probe committee, led by DIG (CID) RK Dutta," Minister for
Home R Ashoka and Minister for Law Suresh Kumar told the
advocates, who today took out a procession to press for their
demand for action against police and media.

KN Subba Reddy, President of Advocates Association of
Bangalore, spearheading the agitation, said they decided to
call off the boycott after the government assured them that
the probe report would be implemented and action taken against
police officials allegedly responsible for the assault.

He said both ministers visited the civil court premises
where over 1,000 lawyers were holding a meeting and urged them
to call off their stir in view of inconvenience to litigants
and assured them of stringent action against those found
guilty.

A 5000-strong police force had been deployed in around
the city civil court premises in the backdrop of the lawyers`
decision to lay siege to Vidhana Soudha on Tuesday.

The lawyers had stayed away from city civil courts since
March 3 and had refused to call off the stir despite a warning
by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen and pleas by the government,
insisting that their demands be conceded.

Sixty five persons, including 52 police personnel, were
injured when lawyers went on a rampage on March 2, protesting
presence of mediapersons to cover the appearance of former
Minister and mining baron Janardhan Reddy in a mining case in
the city civil court complex.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 19:35
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus