Ahead of Assembly polls, Gowda changes tack
Bangalore: Hinting at a departure from the
party`s previous line of targeting the ruling BJP over
corruption, senior JDS leader HD Devegowda on Sunday said the
party should focus on building up the organisation for the
next Assembly polls.
"My last wish is to see JDS comes to power in the state.
You all have to gear up and work to realise it. If workers
fail to bring JDS back to power and if BJP retains power, JDS
will face tough days," the former Prime Minister said at a
state-level party meet here.
Gowda`s son HD Kumaraswamy has been attacking Chief
Minister BS Yeddyurappa over alleged corruption and brought
up `documentary evidence` to buttress his claims.
Yeddyurappa has also played tit for tat and ordered some
enquiry into lands allegedly illegally purchased and owned by
Gowda and his family members.
Kumaraswamy recently went on an indefinite fast daring
the government to order a CBI probe into BJP`s charge that his
family had amassed illegal assets worth Rs 1,500 crore, but
called it off after two days on appeals by various sections.
Gowda said though Kumaraswamy attracted large crowds
during his tours, they have not translated into votes. "These
should be transformed into votes for our party," he said.
After the meeting, state unit Secretary General Basavaraj
Patil Yatnal told reporters that JDS would take out a rally
on July 22 to Raj Bhavan to protest against the government
trying to "influence" Lokayukta Santosh Hegde over the illegal
mining probe to save Yeddyurappa.
JDS would submit a memorandum to Governor HR Bhardwaj
demanding action against Higher Education Minister Dr VS
Acharya and State`s Special Representative in Delhi V
Dhananjaya Kumar, who met Hegde to plead on Yeddyurappa`s
behalf, he said.
Seeking to emulate the BJP, which released list of
candidates well in advance for the 2008 assembly polls, JDS
decided to publish its list of 101 candidates by Vijayadashami
day (Oct 6).
It directed office bearers to ensure district committees
are reconstituted by August end and at least 10,000 new
members are enrolled in every Assembly constituency by then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?