All party `peace meet for peaceful end to Cong padayatra
Bellary: An all-party peace meeting was held
here today to ensure that no untoward incident occurs at the
culmination of the Congress party`s 320 km padayatra from
Bangalore to this city on August 9.
Speaking to reporters after interacting with leaders of
Congress, JDS and BJP, Karnataka DGP Ajaykumar Singh said
authorities concerned have been directed to take all steps to
ensure untoward incidents take place that day.
He sought cooperation of all political parties to maintain
law and order in view of Congress leaders` apprehension that
the Bellary ministers and mining barons -- K Janardhana Reddy
and his brother Karunakara Reddy - might disrupt their rally
and petitioning the Governor H R Bhardwaj seeking protection.
Singh said the district administration would regulate
display of banners and buntings in the city and other areas.
Meanwhile, Congress` `Bellary Chalo` padayatra which began
on July 25 against the BJP government`s "failure" to check
illegal mining, entered the tenth day today.
The padayatra continued to draw good support from locals,
besides Congress workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story