All party `peace meet for peaceful end to Cong padayatra
Bellary: An all-party peace meeting was held
here today to ensure that no untoward incident occurs at the
culmination of the Congress party`s 320 km padayatra from
Bangalore to this city on August 9.
Speaking to reporters after interacting with leaders of
Congress, JDS and BJP, Karnataka DGP Ajaykumar Singh said
authorities concerned have been directed to take all steps to
ensure untoward incidents take place that day.
He sought cooperation of all political parties to maintain
law and order in view of Congress leaders` apprehension that
the Bellary ministers and mining barons -- K Janardhana Reddy
and his brother Karunakara Reddy - might disrupt their rally
and petitioning the Governor H R Bhardwaj seeking protection.
Singh said the district administration would regulate
display of banners and buntings in the city and other areas.
Meanwhile, Congress` `Bellary Chalo` padayatra which began
on July 25 against the BJP government`s "failure" to check
illegal mining, entered the tenth day today.
The padayatra continued to draw good support from locals,
besides Congress workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?