All party `peace meet for peaceful end to Cong padayatra
Bellary: An all-party peace meeting was held
here today to ensure that no untoward incident occurs at the
culmination of the Congress party`s 320 km padayatra from
Bangalore to this city on August 9.
Speaking to reporters after interacting with leaders of
Congress, JDS and BJP, Karnataka DGP Ajaykumar Singh said
authorities concerned have been directed to take all steps to
ensure untoward incidents take place that day.
He sought cooperation of all political parties to maintain
law and order in view of Congress leaders` apprehension that
the Bellary ministers and mining barons -- K Janardhana Reddy
and his brother Karunakara Reddy - might disrupt their rally
and petitioning the Governor H R Bhardwaj seeking protection.
Singh said the district administration would regulate
display of banners and buntings in the city and other areas.
Meanwhile, Congress` `Bellary Chalo` padayatra which began
on July 25 against the BJP government`s "failure" to check
illegal mining, entered the tenth day today.
The padayatra continued to draw good support from locals,
besides Congress workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy