All set for stormy start to Karnataka Budget Session
Bangalore: Amid uncertainty over its fate due to resignation of party MLAs loyal to BS Yeddyurappa, the BJP government is bracing itself to face the crucial Budget Session on Monday, the last one of the 13th Assembly term.
The BJP government led by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, surviving on a wafer thin majority following resignation of 14 MLAs in the last one week, faces a threat in the backdrop of threat by Yeddyurappa loyalists to quit.
Governor HR Bhardwaj will address both Houses of the Karnataka legislature today, outlining the policy initiatives of the government for the year.
"The Speaker will meet me. I have already told you that no political party has given any information on resignations and these people also have not approached me... it is happening outside Raj Bhavan," Mr Bhardwaj said.
However, fireworks could be on cards in the coming days as Opposition Congress and JD(S) will question the government`s continuance despite losing majority.
The en masse resignation of MLAs, former minister Shobha Karandlaje`s charge that government has "failed" to check attacks on women and on girls reported missing across the state are expected to generate much heat.
Shettar, who will be presenting his maiden Budget on February 8, which will also be the last by the BJP government as assembly elections are likely in April-May, will have a tough job on hand to sail through the session.
MLAs and Ministers loyal to Mr Yeddyurappa have so far not spelt out their strategy, but BJP feels they may not pose any problem.
The government`s fiscal performance in implementing programmes announced in the 2012-13 budget and also the tardy phase of drought relief work would become major issues for the opposition to embarrass the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram