All set for stormy start to Karnataka Budget Session
Bangalore: Amid uncertainty over its fate due to resignation of party MLAs loyal to BS Yeddyurappa, the BJP government is bracing itself to face the crucial Budget Session on Monday, the last one of the 13th Assembly term.
The BJP government led by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, surviving on a wafer thin majority following resignation of 14 MLAs in the last one week, faces a threat in the backdrop of threat by Yeddyurappa loyalists to quit.
Governor HR Bhardwaj will address both Houses of the Karnataka legislature today, outlining the policy initiatives of the government for the year.
"The Speaker will meet me. I have already told you that no political party has given any information on resignations and these people also have not approached me... it is happening outside Raj Bhavan," Mr Bhardwaj said.
However, fireworks could be on cards in the coming days as Opposition Congress and JD(S) will question the government`s continuance despite losing majority.
The en masse resignation of MLAs, former minister Shobha Karandlaje`s charge that government has "failed" to check attacks on women and on girls reported missing across the state are expected to generate much heat.
Shettar, who will be presenting his maiden Budget on February 8, which will also be the last by the BJP government as assembly elections are likely in April-May, will have a tough job on hand to sail through the session.
MLAs and Ministers loyal to Mr Yeddyurappa have so far not spelt out their strategy, but BJP feels they may not pose any problem.
The government`s fiscal performance in implementing programmes announced in the 2012-13 budget and also the tardy phase of drought relief work would become major issues for the opposition to embarrass the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in